Streetsboro -- The city plans to upgrade waterlines in Ward 1 and in the Sunny Slopes development starting in 2014.
The Ward 1 waterline upgrade will cost an estimated $1.05 million, Mayor Glenn Broska said. Part of that, about $450,000, will be paid for with a state Issue 1 grant awarded by the Ohio Public Works Commission.
Eight streets -- Blitz, Lido and Nita lanes, and Gillie, Ellen, June, Flora and Gerald drives -- will have 8-inch waterlines installed next year, according to Bruce Terrell, the city's engineering director.
A resolution to prepare plans, specifications and bids, and authorize a contract was approved Sept. 23 by City Council 6-0. Council member Bridget Pavlick was absent.
The Sunny Slopes waterline installation project is being done in two parts. The first is expected to start in 2014 and the second in 2015, said Terrell. Phase I is estimated to cost about $1 million and includes design and construction supervision.
"Once the design is completed, we will have a more accurate figure," Terrell said. "The final project costs are determined by the bids received and final construction costs. Assessments are based on final costs, not the initial estimate."
About 30 percent of the Phase I total will be paid for by the city while residents will be assessed the remaining 70 percent, Broska said. Residents can pay the entire fee at once if they wish or have the payments included in their property tax bills to be paid off over 20 years.
Broska said one of his top priorities is to get waterlines installed in the development, which is just north of the Ohio Turnpike and west of Route 43. It includes Sunny Lane, Gaynelle Avenue and Andy, Fronek, Meldon and Michael drives.
"Those folks have been promised water lines for years, and the city has never gotten around to it," Broska said. "It's not fair to them."
Terrell said the city divided the Sunny Slopes area into two phases due to the fact that the city only has certain funds available, and city leaders "do not want to totally deplete the city's water reserve fund."
Broska said there is about $1.7 million in the water reserve fund.
The Phase 1 design is currently taking place, said Terrell, and the completion date "will be determined by the awarding of the contract and the progress that is made by the contractor, along with any issues that may arise during construction. Once plans are completed, we will be able to determine an appropriate time frame for completion."
The timing of Phase 2 will be determined by the completion of phase 1 and the availability of funds, said Terrell, adding that the current goal is to start the next second phase in 2015. He said the waterline sizes will be determined by the design, but it is expected that lines will vary from 8- to 12-inch diameter for both phases.
FB: The Gateway News