Heading Logo

Streetsboro boys soccer team falls to Woodridge and Southeast

Published: September 3, 2014 12:00 AM
  • 1 of 1 Photos | View More Photos

by Michael Leonard

Sports Editor

Peninsula -- Over the years, Woodridge has had the upper hand on Streetsboro in soccer.

That trend continued Aug. 26 in game one of a doubleheader between the Bulldogs and Rockets at Lahoski Field.

The Bulldog boys cruised to a 9-2 win over the Rockets to improve to 2-0 overall 1-0 in the Portage Trail Conference County Division. Streetsboro, which also lost a 6-1 decision to County Division rival Southeast Aug. 28 at Glinatsis Stadium, dropped to 0-3-1 overall and 0-2 in the County Division as of press time.

[Article continues below]

Woodridge was in total command in the first half, sprinting out to a 6-0 halftime lead before letting its reserve players.

While acknowledging that he still feels the Bulldogs are the favorites to win the County Division, Rockets head coach Paul Krzeminski felt his team should have offered more.

"We went back to the Streetsboro soccer of three years ago," he said. "We have too much talent on the field for us to go backwards."

Woodridge went forward early, thanks to six different goal scorers in the first half.

Forward Matt Tannous opened the scoring in the seventh minute off a through ball from Nick Kumar. In the 16th minute, Kumar did it himself, bursting through the middle of the defense and smashing a low shot home.

[Article continues below]

One minute later, Chase Edwards smashed a ball into the net from just inside the goal box, followed by freshman AJ Wojick's first high school goal in the 22nd minute.

Caleb Whitaker then scored in the 38th minute off a nice feed from Angelo Frammartino. Senior Ian Mullins then closed out the first half by floating a goal into the net with two seconds left on the clock.

Whitaker only scored one goal, but he was the engine of the Bulldogs' attack, finishing with three assists.

Down 6-0, Streetsboro didn't see many scoring chances, but it converted the two chances it had.

In the 47th minute, the Rockets were awarded a penalty kick. Senior captain Spencer Deevers stepped up and slotted the ball home.

However, that goal seemed only to motivate Tannous. The Woodridge standout answered the tally by scoring two goals in a 30-second span in the 49th minute to get his hat trick.

The Rockets got their second goal on another set piece in the 54th minute. Awarded a free kick just outside the Bulldogs' penalty box, Jacob Fifik took the kick and slid the ball into Deevers' path.

Deevers blasted the ball into the net to make it 8-2.

"That's what Deevers has got to do for us," Krzeminski said.

In the 77th minute, Woodridge's Sam Reaman closed out the scoring in weird fashion.

Reaman sent what looked like a cross into the box, but the ball ended up going into the net, just beyond the reach of Streetsboro goalkeeper Nick Wilson.

Reaman took a bow after the goal, making it clear he had no intention of putting it on net.

Wilson finished with 13 saves. Bulldogs goalie Brett Lemke did not record a save in the win.

In the loss to the Pirates, Colton Harsh led the way with five goals. Southeast had a 25-4 advantage in shots on goal and a 9-1 edge in corner kicks.

Traig Taylor scored the lone goal for the Rockets, who trailed 2-1 at halftime. Wilson made 17 saves in the nets.

Streetsboro was scheduled to host County Division foe James A. Garfield Sept. 2. Results were not available at press time.

The Rockets are set to entertain PTC rival Field Sept. 4 at 5 p.m.

Email: mleonard@recordpub.com

Phone: 330-541-9442

Facebook: MLeonardRPC


Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.